Sunday, January 18, 2009

This Could Be The Very Minute I'm Aware I'm Alive...




I got back from Malaysia today. It was definitely fun for a weekend, and I had absolutely no problem getting through security. We went to Melaka. There we found out that there is apparently only 1 crosswalk in the city (at least, so it seemed), there is very little sidewalk, and nobody follows the rules of the road. There were people going the wrong way, and there were people going every which way at this confusing triangle intersection. The lines in the road were only loosely followed, and not too many people signaled before moving over. If you had to cross the street, you had to just kinda run.
The money exchange was nice. Their money was basically monopoly money compared to the US dollar, so I did not feel that bad spending the money that I did. We also lucked out in the hostel we stayed at. The man in charge was very helpful. He would point us the right direction to places we knew of, recommend places to us, and he called to make reservations for us on the taxi back to the bus station and the bus back to Singapore. He also made sure that nobody overcharged us on anything. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to stay in Melaka, because it is a good value, and the man at the front desk was helpful. It is called Heeren Inn. Bedbugs are supposedly a problem in Malaysian hostels, but we did not have them in our room, and neither did the girls in their room. This hostel was very close to the main road with the night market on it in Chinatown, so that was really cool. We got to wander around it for 2 nights, and we didn't have to worry about getting back since it was only a very short walk.
While in Melaka, we went on a boat tour, went into some art galleries and museums, walked around the historic city, chilled by the river, and enjoyed ourselves at the night market. We ate some local food, which was really cool. The Western restaurant we tried was awful. It was tiny portions for a whole lot of money. To make matters worse, Colin ordered the chicken, and it wasn't even cooked, so he had to get it taken off the bill. The service was kinda mediocre, and there was an ant infestation only a little ways away from us. It was called Harper's. Skip out on this one. It looks like a cool little place, but it is not worth it. Instead, eat at a rice ball place. The place we had for rice balls was really good. I feel like we explored the city pretty well. 
They are trying to make the city a tourist hotspot, but they must first put in sidewalks and crosswalks. It is dangerous walking along or crossing the road. They are doing a good job in the river area. They are restoring old buildings as well. I think that in a couple of years it will be a much more touristy area. I'm happy I was able to see it before that transformation.
When on the bus between Malaysia and Singapore, I saw some great scenery as well. It was awesome. I hope to visit another part of Malaysia, maybe Kuala Lumpur later on, but Melaka did leave a pretty good impression of Malaysia. I don't know if I could go back there in the near future, but to Malaysia in general? Definitely. I am definitely happy to be back in Singapore though.

1 comment:

  1. Bedbugs, chaos in the streets, worthless money...looks like the world collapses once you move past the white people!!! haha no. But it sounds like a cool trip. I haven't gone anywhere yet, but I signed up for two trips this month and there are a few coming up I'd like to go on. I heard they sometimes take students about the Artic Circle so they can see the Northern Lights!

    Haha I like how we both have shadowy Photobooth pics!

    ReplyDelete